An onion soup is quick to prepare and extremely tasty. There are two recipes here: French onion soup and red onion soup.You can cook onions in a variety of ways in the kitchen. One possibility is to make an onion soup that can warm our bodies nicely from the inside, especially in the cold season. The work involved in preparing an onion soup is not as great as many think. You can also prepare a large amount and freeze some of it. Today we're going to present two different recipes for onion soup. Good luck and good appetite!
French onion soup
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 750 grams of onions
- 40 grams of butter
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 liters of broth
- 1 small baguette
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100 grams of spicy, grated cheese (Gruyere or Emmentaler)
Instructions for French onion soup
- Peel the onions and cut them into fine rings. Then heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan. Braise the onions in it until glassy.
- Now the flour comes over it and steam everything for another three minutes.
- Pour on the meat broth and season it with pepper and salt. Cover and cook the onions over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the baguette into slices and drizzle with a little olive oil. Then roast in a pan on both sides until golden brown.
- Now peel and halve the garlic, then rub the bread slices with it and then grate the cheese.
- Fill the soup into fireproof bowls and place two slices of baguette on each. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle the remaining oil and finally bake under the preheated grill.
Red Onion soup
Ingredients for 5 people:
- 500 grams of red onions
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 50 ml red wine
- 150 ml apple juice
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Chili powder or a chopped chili pepper
- 1 liter of broth
- 1/4 vanilla pod
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram
- 3 slices of bread
- 100 grams of crème fraîche
- 4 tablespoons of cream
Instructions for red onion soup
- Peel the onions and cut them into fine rings. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and braise the onions with a little salt for 10 minutes. Stir again and again.
- Remove 4 tablespoons of the steamed onions and set aside. Then pour the remaining onions with red wine and let them boil down well.
- Pour in the apple juice and also boil down.
- Then the tomato paste is added, the chilli pepper or chilli from the mill and the marjoram is briefly roasted.
- Now pour in the broth and season the soup with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- The bread slices are diced and gently roasted in a pan in the remaining oil. Push the bread aside and put the onions previously set aside in the pan and roast with them.
- The soup is now seasoned with creme fraiche, cream, salt and pepper. Remove the vanilla pod and then puree the soup. To serve, place the soup in plates and decorate with the toasted bread and fried onions.